Still here? Well, the fact is. . . I've dipped my proverbial toe into the on-line dating waters.
So, being a logophile (verbivore, verbiphage), I hemmed and hawed, and tweaked and edited my profile for two days. I was quite unaware that one can not really just dip one's toes into this particular website, oh no! Once questions are answered and choices are clicked, YOU ARE OUT THERE for all the world to see. You don't even have to pay for a membership. You are matched. I immediately had 14 matches, and when I signed into my email account this morning, I had messages from said website that I had two photo nudges and 8 more matches.
Three matches closed me out because I did not post a picture.
Geez. . . isn't there somewhere I could click a box for "Dipping one's toe in the water. I'll look for a photo once I decide what the hell I'm gonna do. The battery in my digital camera is dead and I don't know in what box the photo albums are located."
Obviously, some people have too many better options that to wait around for a photo from me.
Was I that uninteresting? Was my profile just too rough around the edges? Was it because when listing attributes my friends would use to describe me, I chose: overbearing, opinionated, lazy, selfish and fat?
Just kidding...I didn't put lazy!
I don't think I'm ready for this on-line dating thing. I think I would like to be a bystander and watch other people's account first. This is making me a bit crazy. I hate the whole rejection with the click of a button. Sure it beats telling someone to their face, but it's rejection nonetheless. Do you think it gets easier? This has been difficult for me and I haven't even opened any lines of communication yet.
Two guys have clicked my account saying they want to open communications, but they just don't seem to be what I'm looking for. Should I close them off now? Should I chat with them a bit even though I'm really not interested in talking with them at all? That sounds like drudgery.
I have rejected nine matches so far. (I'm practicing) Two I rejected because of the creep factor. Two I rejected because they just didn't put themselves out there with any real information. The rest were just not a good match for me. They spent their free time fishing and playing golf or something like that. Nothing wrong with fishing and golf, but they need to find a woman that wants to join them while they fish and golf and it's not me.
I found the AC adapter for my digital camera after figuring out that the USB cable to the computer doesn't charge a digital camera like an ipod. Gosh, when was the last time I charged this thing that I don't even remember an AC plug? Anyway, I took about 700 pictures of me in about four different outfits and posted three pictures. Yes, I'm so incredibly photogenic that it takes 700 pictures to find three remotely not gross ones.
I'm going to have to take Tylenol PM tonight so I can stop thinking about rejection.
No one ever said on-line dating was so painful!
Sweetie - do you know how many frogs I had to kiss through the Internet before your brother and I stumbled upon each other? NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED. If someone doesn't have a photo, that is a sure sign they have something to hide. I wouldn't chat with non-picture-people either. You have to draw a line somewhere. Boy do I have stories to share. The non-blinker, the guy who sent me pics of his engine (and I mean engine, nothing proverbial), the guy who was older than my Mom, the drunk guy who lied about smoking, the Stalker from Homeland Defense, the guy taking anger management classes, I could go on. Rascal Flats has a song that goes something like "God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you." Don't be afraid to start down the broken road.
ReplyDeleteSend me an email with pointers. I'm a fish out of water here. I don't know the protocol of this yet. Good grief! What have I done?
ReplyDeleteYes indeed...you do have many frogs out there. LOL, you hate frogs. How funny is that. But it is also fun and you'll meet some nice people. Don't give up.
ReplyDelete