Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Test 2

I stopped in my Nuclear 1000 instructor's office this morning. I had some time to kill before Physics class. Since I had memorized the Physics summary for the day and was prepared for the quiz, I thought I'd check in on the results of Monday's Test 2 from Nuclear 1000 class.

I tapped on Mr. C's closed door.  Mr. C. opened the door and greeted me with, "Oh good, I've a bone to pick with you." Although the words were spoken with a cheerful voice, I began racking my brain to figure out what preposterous thing I had done to make a nuisance of myself. Oh good grief, did I totally blow the test and am now being told I don't look like I have what it takes to make it through the program?

He didn't let me suffer long. Turns out he was nearly done grading the tests when he came along to my test paper. After seeing my paper and my answer, he had to go back through each test and give credit for either answer.  A question on page three of the four pages seemed to have two answers to it, which made me think they were looking for something specific. I pondered on it a while and tried to assume what exactly it was they were looking for. Not satisfied that I might lose four points on the question, I wrote in the margin the two specific points I felt were relevant to the question. I didn't expect to be given credit for a wrong answer, but I didn't want to be regarded as uninformed about the very program of which I am currently enrolled.

 The question asked something like, "Which agency is responsible for the nuclear curriculum?" Well, according to the material which we were given to study, and the lectures given by guest speakers, one agency is responsible for the accreditation and another agency the policy that we must maintain a B or better average in the nuclear classes to be eligible for a certificate. The certificate demonstrates our qualifications in the nuclear fields, which in turn makes us marketable at any nuclear location, and a nicer starting salary than those without the certificate, but I digress.

So, Mr. C. says something to the effect that it was very intuitive of me to identify the question as being unclear, and states that nuclear professionals considers it mandatory that persons in the nuclear field identify and correct anything that may be vague or left to interpretation. It is a critical part of the work force. Clarity is very important when running and maintaining a nuclear facility.

So, anywho. . . we just started a new module on Monday which identifies being proactive a big part of the subject they wanted us to understand. Because I identified the question as possibly being interpreted as having two possible answers, they feel this identifies me as someone who is thorough and proactive. Hey, that beats the title of "troublemaker" any day, whew!

So, tomorrow I will be speaking in front of the class explaining to them why there are two possible answers to that one test problem and how those two agencies play a part in the Nuclear Engineering Technician course.

 
Oh, and Mr. C. gave me +4 points for my answer.

I got a 96%.



No comments:

Post a Comment